Saturday, April 21, 2012

READING

For this week we have:
Post-Colonialism ~ sort of.


Peter Wollen, "Into the Future: Tourism, Language, and Art,: pg 1105-1110 in "Art in theory 1920-2000"

Frantz Fanon, "On National Culture," pg 710-715 in "Art in theory 1920-2000"


I read them both while I was roasting coffee. Wollen's work on tourist culture was a bit more my cuppa tea. I am intrigued to read more, specifically his Raiding the Icebox, which purports to be about the changes in fine art that occurred in response to a variety of different socio-political stimuli. Not that this is a new idea, but its one that I want to review.

The big elephant in the room with all of the reading I have been doing lately is French post-structuralism. I have to get through the 'continental philosophers' soon so that I can catch up with the people I have been reading. Now I just need months of available reading time to make that happen.